Monday, June 6, 2011

Wiki Wisdom: Lessons for Educators

This article was a great eye-opener about the benefits and potential problems of wiki pages.  Although I have trouble sometime incorporating technology into my lesson plans, a classroom wiki is a great opportunity to not only use technology but receive participation from students as well.  Wikis are collaborative web pages to share loads of information.  As mentioned in the article, Wikipedia, which I personally use on a daily basis, is a great example of a wiki page.  Wikipedia shows us how large and worldwide a wiki can actually grow!

In one of my previous classes, I was assigned to create my own wiki-page.  The site itself was relatively easy to navigate, and the steps the build the page were straight forward.  After working with the site for a little while, I was really able to get the hang of things and build on my own creativity.  In a teaching perspective, a wiki is a great way to build upon students creativity as well.  I see a huge future for wikis in the education field.  It is the perfect tool for team collaboration and additional technology use!

7 comments:

  1. I agree it is a perfect tool for collaboration! Since it is easy to use, teachers may feel more comfortable using it which is good! Sometimes teachers do not want to try certain technologies like the smartboard just because they do not know how to use it. Maybe wiki's will change that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wiki feature is that they are free!!! As educational tools their uses are limitless. One drawback is the addition of internet safety and etiquette to our seemingly infinite curriculum. I am excited about using them this fall during student teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your absolutely correct. I also see WIKI's as well as Blogs playing a huge role in the future of education. With the digital era, students are very much engaged in all types of social networking and are able to use most types of technology better than we can. If students enjoy social networking, then why not find a way to implement that into the classroom and education in general. I think you will see the use of WIKI's and Blogs emerge more as more technology works its way into the classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WIKIs are huge in collaboration. I look forward to using it in my educational career and in my career in education. I also expect to encounter inter-obstacles along the way as I know some people will not be comfortable using it and/or will have false information about it. However, I also see my self as being empowered by these tools so much that I can help others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did the same article and it is very interesting how important wikis are becoming in the classroom. Before this class, I didn't even know what a wiki was. Now it seems I keep finding new ways to use them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wikis provide various benefits to students. Some of them provide opportunities for ongoing assessment, feedback, revision, and reflection. Also, wikis support communication and community building. I am looking forward to implement wikis in my future classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love wikis, I think it's exciting and a huge resource for everyone; students,parents and teachers. This has been a very empowering experience for me.

    ReplyDelete